The idea behind FC-HyGuide: Development of Guidance Document for performing Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) on Fuel Cells (FCs) and Hydrogen (H2) Technologies
Fuel cells are not yet a commercial technology and a considerable effort in research and development is ongoing to meet not only the efficiency, durability and cost targets but also environmental sustainability is required to gain significant market shares and be fully accepted by consumers. Life Cycle Assessments can increase this acceptance. Moreover, LCAs will be obligatory in this field in the future and so common rules to carry out such assessments will be necessary.
Objectives of FC-HyGuide
The guidance document is based on and in line with the International Reference Life Cycle Data System (ILCD) Handbook on LCA, coordinated by the European Commission's JRC-IES, through the European Platform on LCA.
The ILCD Handbook is applicable to a wide range of different decision-contexts and sectors, and therefore needs to be translated to product-specific criteria, guidelines and simplified tools to foster LCA applications in the specific industry sectors. The FC-HyGuide project responds to this need by providing a guidance document on how to perform every step of a LCA for hydrogen (H2) production systems and fuel cell technologies.
Including hydrogen production and fuel cell technology specific examples the "manual" offers a step-by-step guidance for LCA practitioners in industry and research.
- Development of a specific LCA guidance document for application to hydrogen and fuel cell technologies incl. training material and courses for practitioners in industry and research.
- In line with relevant ISO standards 14040 and 14044
- Based on and in line with the International Reference Life Cycle Data System (ILCD) Handbook on LCA, coordinated by the European Commission's JRC-IES, through the European Platform on LCA.
- Developed in a broad and widespread stakeholder process in accordance to international standards, namely ISO 14025
- Developed in liaise with the European Platform on LCA (EPLCA), based on a close cooperation with the JRC-IES, EPLCA.
- Applicable for technologies at different stage of maturity (from lab- to commercial-scale) and to different technology-levels (from base technologies up to technology systems).
- Third party reviewed guidance document by a independent panel
- Development, design, and implementation of a website as part of the ILCD data network
Main goal of the project is developing a guidance document to evaluate the environmental benefits of new technologies in the field of fuel cell and hydrogen applications. It is foreseen that the guidance document will be applied in all on-going and future FCH JU projects calling for Life Cycle Assessment (LCA).
Part of thinkstep in the project
- Project coordinator
- Development of the guidance document
- Moderation of stakeholder workshops